Friday, January 1, 2016

A Word for the Year

Inspired by my mother, I have decided not to make New Year's Resolutions this year.  Like most people, I've tried various types of resolutions each year and I never stick to them.  Mom doesn't stick to hers either, so I think it's genetic.  :)  This year she chose to focus on a word.  Her word is "patience."  Now I'm not that brave.  I know what happens when I try to work on my patience.  God decides to help me by giving me all kinds of situations where I need that patience.  While I appreciate His attention, it does make for a rather trying time.  So bless you, Mom, I'll be there to support you in your journey, but I'm not going to use that word.

So what, you ask, is my word?  I know you are waiting anxiously!  Get ready....here it is....my word for 2016 is......



One?  Yup.  That's it.  One.  I hear you; I hear you.  What on earth does that mean?  How can you focus on the word "one?" What gave you that idea?  You just don't want to try something difficult.

On that last one, I'd have to agree.  I certainly don't.  I want something I know I can accomplish, not something that is going to stress me out!  I like the word "one."  I got the idea from a book I read recently.  "One" is a great word - especially for this purpose.  What can't you do with one?

http://wilderness.org/blog/study-shows-time-outdoors-away-technology-can-boost-creativity
I can focus on one goal.  I can clean off one shelf.  I can do one load of laundry.  I can go be outside for one hour.  I can accomplish one thing on my to-do list.  I can read one book (okay, I can read one hundred books...that may not be the best example).  I can take one minute to just be.  I can make one blog post or one journal entry.  I can memorize one Bible verse.  I can shut off all technology for one day.  I can make an extra effort to talk to one kid.  I can spend one less dollar.  I can try or learn one new thing.  I can make one new recipe.  I can do one artistic endeavor.  I can get rid of one item from my house or my classroom. The list is endless!  Think how many things you can accomplish with 365 days of "one."  Wait!  This is a leap year.  366 days!  That's one more thing.

On this first day of January 2016, my ones include:  getting one bag of books together to give away, answering one e-mail that has been needing answered for a couple of weeks, writing one blog post.  How many more ones can I accomplish today?  Who knows.  But I've done one.  That's enough.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect! I love your word. I've been searching, but nothing has come to me yet. ONE...so beautifully simple and eloquent. One.

    ReplyDelete

These comments are moderated and will not show up until they are approved.