Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

This was in my e-mail today
 Yesterday I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix.  It wasn't quite what I expected.  I expected it to be boring.  I mean, really...how exciting can it be to watch a guy drink juice for 60 days?  I have to admit, I was wrong.  I actually watched it through without even picking up a book or playing Sudoku on my phone.  :)  I wasn't overly impressed with the cartoon parts, but I guess they were a different way to explain some of the scientific parts.  I'm used to seeing stuff like that, as I show it to my 3rd graders all the time.  Having seen what some of the adults in the movie had to say, maybe that should be the target intelligence level.  That brings me to the points that really stuck out about the whole thing:

1)  America has become a culture of idiots; and

2)  I'm one of the idiots.

How sad is that?  Normally, I can sit back and watch stupid people on TV and be quite comfortable that I am not one of them.  I work hard, I learn new things all the time.  I keep up with what is going on in the world.  I travel, and I make it a point to experience different things all the time.  I can answer most of the questions on Jaywalking, so I can't be one of the idiots, right?

Unfortunately, in this case, it just isn't true.  I am just as bad as they are.  Person after person in the movie, fat, thin, muscular, tall, short, healthy, not healthy - all of them repeating the same thing.  "Yes, I know what I eat is bad for me."  "Yes, I know it can kill me."  "Yes, I know there are better choices."  "No, I'm not going to change anything."  "If I die next week, at least I'll die eating good food."   "I can see that what you are doing is working.  Great job.  No, I'm not interested."  "It looks too hard."  "I don't have the will power."  "I don't have the time."  "Fast food is just so convenient." 

In my head I hear all the times I have said just those things.  "It's hard."  "I'm just too busy to eat right."  "I have no willpower."  "It's too difficult to cook for just one person."  "It's easier to go through the drive through."  Sound familiar? 

You know the next thing that went through my head?  I would never accept those excuses - yes, that's right, I said excuses - from my students. 

"It's too hard, Miss P."  "I know it's hard, but we have to work through hard things.  It will get easier." 
"I was too busy to do my homework."  "Bummer, dude.  You still owe recess.  It is your responsibility to make the time to get it done."
 "I just can't do it, Miss P."  "I don't accept that.  You can do anything you really want to do."  "Can't and don't want to are not the same."

So, now what?  I know the problem.  I know the solution.  Am I going to let myself continue to make excuses?  Am I going to continue to be an idiot?  I sure hope not.  I know everyone says if  you are really committed to the change, you start immediately.  I'm not doing that.  I'm taking the next couple of days to figure out a plan.  I'll do better with a plan.  However, I did take one step already. 

Meet my new juicer - well, soon to be mine.  I had been saving for a treadmill, but I think this will do me more good right now.  It should be here by Friday.  If it's not, then I'll just start with whole fruits and veggies.

Will I do a complete juice fast?  Unlikely - at least not for 60 days.  However, I am committed to adding more fruits & veggies to my diet, and I like juices.  This seems like something I can do.  Will I give up meat, dairy, etc. completely?  Again, unlikely in the long term.  However, for the short term I think I am going to have to.  I am also looking at Whole 30.  I'll figure it out by Saturday, which is as much time as I've allowed myself.  It is also my grocery shopping day. 

But it's going to be hard, and I don't have a lot of will power, and it is inconvenient, and I don't have time. 

Bummer, dude.

1 comment:

These comments are moderated and will not show up until they are approved.