Thursday, October 13, 2011

Feather Boas and Tiaras

You thought I was kidding, didn't you?  Come on...be honest...

Nope.  Not this time.  I did indeed start off my day with a feather boa and a tiara.  Suzy has borrowed them for the evening.  She's just that kind of cow.  Why, you ask did I start off my day with a feather boa and a tiara?

Remember that grant project I worked on for a couple of years?  The one to get the iPod Touches for our school?  Last year we got our iPods, and we spent the year learning how to use them in the class, teaching others how to do so and in general just creating new ways to use technology with our kiddos.  All of this was done with the money and support from the K20 Center at OU.  Well, it turns out (and this was a complete surprise to me) that they also have an award to "[celebrate] educators who have demonstrated the ability to link student learning with the innovative use of technology and the K20 IDEALS."  They call it the SKIE award (Supporting K20 Innovative Educators).  This morning, the people from K20 came to our school to present my friend and co-worker, Regina Hartley, and myself with said award!  Yay us!

My Principal knew about this yesterday, I guess, so she called an assembly this morning and they did the presentation at the assembly.  She also gifted us with said feather boas and tiaras. 


Of course, I am pleased with the award, but I think my favorite part of it all was listening to some of the comments that came my way throughout the day.  Sara Snodgrass from K20 said she uses our model to teach everyone else what to do with this kind of technology in the classroom.  My students from both this year and last year told me that they knew when they started talking about an award for technology that I was going to win it because I taught them so much about it and with it.  Another person told me that she would love to be in my class because whenever she looks into my room, they are always doing something neat.  I was even told that it was interesting to look into my room because they could never find me when they did.  I was always in the middle of the students.

We had fun with the whole thing - all of my students tried on my boa.  :D  At the presentation, the people from K20 said that the award comes with a check (no idea how much of a check, just a check).  I guess my kids didn't quite understand what was said because they asked why they were giving me a chicken.  

I know that there are a ton of responsibilities that come with the award.  I will be presenting at the K20 Conference next year.  This year too, but that will be with our grant team, I think.  I'll be meeting the board of the K20 Center and others involved with the program.  All in all, a good platform to talk to others about the problems we have been having in education.  I am excited to see what this opportunity brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are moderated and will not show up until they are approved.